Changing passwords is always a good option. If you do it frequently, then you can keep your account protected for longer. But just changing the password is not enough, making it strong and unique is also necessary. There can be several reasons why one wishes to change his password.
As we all know that, our Outlook account, be it Outlook 365, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2010, is linked with another email service provider that could be Gmail, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. So, in this situation, you need to change passwords in two places i.e. the password of your account from the email service provider and Outlook password itself.
Reasons why one needs to change Outlook password
You should change Outlook password in the following situations:
- If you think somebody has stolen it to hack into your account.
- In case you suddenly receive a link in an email asking you to reset your password and the request was not made by you.
- You can change or reset you the password in case you are unable to recall it.
Therefore, let us learn the steps to change the password. The first procedure will describe the process for Microsoft and then we will learn the process to change the password stored in Outlook.
(Note: If you are using an account other than Microsoft, then the steps to change its password might slightly vary. Therefore, you need to learn the process to do so in other email service providers separately.)
Steps to change Microsoft account password
Follow the steps given below to change Microsoft account password as it is necessary before changing the Outlook account password:
- First of all, you need to sign in to your Microsoft account as you are already doing.
- Use the current password for signing in.
- In case, you are unable to recall your password, then click on the ‘Forgot password’ option.
- After resetting your password and signing in successfully, go to the next step.
- Further, you need to go to the ‘Security’ section.
- Here, you need to tap on the ‘Password’ security option.
- Now, enter the current password of your Microsoft account.
- Further, you will be asked to set a new password.
- Enter the new password and verify it by entering it again.
- Once you are done, click on the ‘Save’ option.
Now, that you have changed your Microsoft account password, you can change the password of Outlook. The procedure for doing so is given in the next section.
Steps to change Outlook password
Follow the easy and quick steps to change the password you have stored for Outlook.
- First of all, login to your Outlook account using the current password.
- After this, choose the ‘File’ option.
- Now, select ‘Account Setting’ and then go to the next step.
- Select the Outlook account for which you wish to change your password.
- After this, click on the ‘Change’ option.
- This will open the Change Account window. Here, you need to tap on the update password option.
- Follow some easy on-screen instructions to change your password completely.
- In the end, select ‘Close’ after making the desired changes.
Now that you have known how to change Outlook password, you can do it as many times as you wish to. You should always set such a password that nobody can guess easily. For further information, you can always visit office.com/setup.