Think of a situation when you are in a hurry to complete the task assigned to you. You open your Microsoft Word application and it says that it cannot be opened due to some reasons. You have tried opening it several times and nothing is working right for you. Even after several attempts to open the app, all you could see is some kind of error message. This situation annoys the user and he feels helpless because he could not complete the assigned task within the stipulated time.
Since so many people in this world are making use of this application, many of them have reported facing this issue at some time while working with one of the Office apps. So, if you are wondering how you can document your projects, type notes, or make agendas, then here are some troubleshooting methods for you. You can try them one after the other and hopefully one will resolve the issue you are facing. But, before that, it is essential to find out what is the cause behind this issue because of which you could not open the app.
Reasons why Microsoft Word won’t open on your device
Some of the reasons why you are having trouble with MS Word are listed below. After finding out the cause behind the problem, you will be able to get rid of the issue instantly.
- Sometimes, the humanoid errors could result in the non-working of some of the available apps on your device.
- You must have downloaded an incompatible version for the type of device you are using.
- The Word application on your device is outdated and needs to be updated.
- There might be the presence of a suspicious add-in to your Word app.
- Your system might have undergone an abrupt shutdown because of which Word got hanged.
Workarounds to fix MS Word not opening error
There are certain things you can try in order to resolve the issue and these workarounds are listed below.
Method 1-use the Task Manager to repair a Word file
In case you are trying to open Word on your Windows 10, then this method will help you in getting rid of the issue quickly:
- In the beginning, you need to open the Task Manager of your device. For this, press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on your keyboard.
- From the resulting page, select the Task Manager option.
- After this, navigate to the ‘Details’ tab.
- Now, you need to check if the WINWORD.exe file opens or not.
- If it is open then Widows will not prompt an error message to show why Word is not opening.
- Now, you need to right-click on the .exe service file.
- After this, tap on the ‘End process tree’ option
- Now, you can try to open your MS Word once again.
The issue might have been resolved till now but you should note that this method cannot be used for fixing major issues with Word. In case, the issue persists, go for the next solution.
Method 2- Open Microsoft Word in Safe Mode
This method will work wonders if you have accidentally downloaded an add-in or a non-trusted file to your device. This is the reason why you are unable to open some of the programs on your device. However, this issue can be easily resolved if you open your inaccessible apps in Safe Mode. To access a program in Safe Mode, you just need to hold the “Ctrl” key and then tap twice on the app to open it. In case your system has undergone an abrupt or sudden shutdown, then using this method will help you in getting rid of the issue quickly.
In case none of these methods work, then you may perform a quick repair or online repair of your apps. This is a built-in tool present on your Windows device to get rid of minor issues with your device. Users should also note that the above methods are also applicable in case you are unable to open any other office.com/setup application including MS Excel or PowerPoint.
Read More Information :- MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO.